At our last meeting we scheduled a road trip to ) Lost Horizons nursery near Acton. It’s about an hour’s drive from Hamilton. It really is worth the drive– a gorgeous woodland setting brimming with plants that you just won’t see anywhere else.
The date is Friday July 3 and we’ll be leaving about 9:30 a.m. If you’re interested in making the trip please respond by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) on or before Monday, with your name, phone number, and nearest intersection–we’ll be arranging car pooling. Please also indicate if you’d be interested in having a restaurant lunch together after we finish exploring/shopping at Lost Horizons.
Hope to see you next Friday!
A Doodle poll led us to believe we’d have a well-attended meeting on Tuesday June 16, but it was not the case. Our small group decided to set a regular meeting date based on our own preferences. Meetings will now be held on Wednesday evenings– every fourth Wednesday of the month, at 7:30 pm, at the ARCH room in the Perkins Center building.
- We will set up a formal group structure (bylaws, bank account, executive team) when participation improves and stabilizes
- Bev will create a shared spreadsheet on Google Drive for a gardening book sharing system. WordPress has a nice library add-on but it requires a hosted installation
- Bev will arrange to reprint the promo bookmark using cash from the plant sale
- Anne will investigate a road trip to Shared Harvest Farm near Dunnville, possibly for the fall festival
- Elizabeth will ask for suggestions for a name for the new Pipeline Trail Pollinator Garden. “Pollinator Paradise” is the name of the Environment Hamilton program, so we shouldn’t use it as the garden name.
Upcoming Activities / Events
- a Random Act of Gardening at Jody’s place Province Ave. on Monday June 22, 9 am.
- Weeding Party! Tuesday June 23, 7:30 pm, at the Pipeline Pollinator Garden. After weeding the garden we’ll weed and clear the triangle garden at the London Street crossing. Bring tools.
- Road Trip! Friday July 3, morning departure. To Lost Horizons nursery, near Acton. RSVP to Bev by email ( bevwagar (at) gmail (dot) com ) to sign up and/or arrange for carpool ride.
DOOR PRIZES: Bev donated plants and we drew names. Everyone received at least one great garden addition.
Next meeting: Wednesday July 22 at the ARCH room on Main just east of Kenilworth. Location info here: ARCH web page. Please note that the ARCH room is a storefront– entry is off Main Street, not the Perkins lobby.
On the sunny cool morning of June 6 2015 a dozen volunteers gathered to plant the pollinator garden on the Pipeline Trail. Over three hours we planted 200 individual plants of 24 different species over approximately 700 square feet of garden. The skill and hard work of the this group were truly remarkable.
The Work Crew, at quitting time.
Kelly and Jen, with Matt and Emily
Fran, planting the trailside area
Tamara and Elizabeth
Interns and Students– very helpful indeed
The dry packed clay proved to much for hand tools so we opted to rototill. On Friday May 30 the garden shape came off the paper and into the real world. Here are the first photos. More to come…