The Crown Point Garden Club is a growing group of novice and experienced gardening enthusiasts who enjoy spreading the beauty and joy of gardening throughout the Crown Point neighbourhood of Hamilton, Ontario and beyond. We were founded in 2014 by a group of community volunteers who came together around the Pipeline Trail Master Plan. Our first project was the pollinator garden on the trail between Edgemont and Park Row.
Over the past five+ years, with the help of grants from the Hamilton Naturalist Club and Environment Hamilton, the Crown Point Garden Club has planted and maintained a number of gardens: the Pipeline Pollinator Paradise, the DePave garden on Kenilworth Street at Britannia, and two pollinator patches on Park Row North at Cannon. We are the Adopt-a-Park group for these gardens which means the City of Hamilton allows us to maintain these gardens which are on public property. We encourage everyone to visit and enjoy these spaces.
In 2017, we were involved with a de-pave project coordinated by Green Venture. Here we helped to plant the newest pollinator garden at Holy Family Parish, located on Kenilworth Avenue between Cannon and Britannia.
Whether you are old or young, novice or expert, you are welcome to join the Crown Point Garden Club. Regardless of your gardening style, you’ll find a friendly, welcoming group with whom to have fun and share knowledge. Enjoy our garden-related events, work on our pollinator gardens, and share the beauty of gardening with our neighbourhood.
To keep up to date on upcoming events, please sign up for our email newsletter. We send them about once a month.
If you are a gardener who lives in Hamilton and are interested in sharing your garden knowledge or increasing your own knowledge, please join our Facebook group: Crown Point Garden Club Hamilton Canada
- to improve the beauty and public image of Crown Point by making and/or maintaining public gardens
- to help members learn and improve their gardening skill and enjoyment
- to increase the biodiversity of residential properties
- to meet new friends and neighbours and have fun
Here are just a few of the activities we take part in as a garden club:
- Maintain the public pollinator gardens on the Crown Point section of the Pipeline Trail.
- Do trail cleanup twice a year.
- Maintain pollinator patches located just north of Cannon Street East on Part Row Avenue North
- Assist with maintenance of the DePave Garden (at the Holy Family Church on Kenilworth Avenue North) by weeding, replacing plants as needed and monitoring the site to ensure the plants become established
- Hold an annual plant sale along with compost and wood chips give-away
- Add some winter greenery to Kenilworth Avenue by planting small evergreen trees to discourage littering and enhance the streetscape
- Host a table at Hamilton’s annual Seedy Saturday event each February
- Road Trips! We visit out of town nurseries and farms and attend a variety of garden events. (some events do have costs associated with them which are the responsibility of the attendee) Car pooling is encouraged.
- Garden education via peer coaching talks and special guest speakers at our monthly meetings
- A summer garden crawl where Garden Club members may volunteer to open up their garden for a tour. It’s a great opportunity to showcase an established garden or to get tips for an up-and-coming garden!
- And much more!!!!!
*The Crown Point Garden Club is not affiliated with the OHA or the Garden Club of Hamilton.