- This is a gardener-to-gardener system– you arrange directly with the person offering plants. You mutually decide on pickup place / time / date, or you can just do porch pickups. Or the gardener may offer delivery. It’s all up to the two parties involved.
- There is no “shopping cart”. Everything is free and there’s no time limit. You can “shop” whenever you like. This softward just makes it easier to search and manage offerings and pickups.
- Everything is free but if you would like to make a donation to the Crown Point Garden Club we will gratefully accept one by e-transfer. Please use the contact form on the contact us page and we’ll put you in touch with our club treasurer.
- In addition to plants, listings may include garden decor items, tools, pots and trays, unneeded supplies, and other garden-related items.
- The garden club does not curate the offerings–other than a few rules about invasive plants, which are not allowed. Unacceptable plants include: vinca/periwinkle; goutweed; ditch lilies (Hemerocallis fulva); butterfly bush / Buddleia; English Ivy/Hedera helix; and Lily of the Valley.
- Anyone on the internet can view the listings so keep this in mind if you add photos or personal details. It’s best to keep personal information offline, in your emails with the potential recipient.
- If you expect something in return (a “swap”) please include this detail in your listing. If you’re doing a swap, be clear about the size of plant you’re offering.
- To offer plants you need to set up an account on this web site– a WordPress “user” login (link is below, but read on before you jump in). You add, edit, upload photos, and otherwise manage your own listings via this login. We suggest you bookmark the login page and document your password. The system asks for your name, email, address and phone number. The garden club will not share your information with anyone.
- photos and links (for plant information) are encouraged. Please use both the common name AND the botanical latin. If you don’t know the name of your plant, we cannot accept it as a listing. There are many good plant ID forums online– don’t hesitate to ask for help with an ID: email@example.com
- This swap / giveaway is for people in Hamilton Ontario. Do not ask for plants if you don’t live in Hamilton.
- In order to contact someone for a plant you need to create an account. The account is simply a Worpress “user” login. We manually approve all account requests
- ASK. Ask if the gardener has goutweed or other invasives that might hitchhike in on a plant. Ask if the plant will come with native soil or will it be potted in mix. Ask when the division was taken. Ask if you are expected to “dig your own”. Ask if the plant will fit in the trunk of a car.
- BE CAREFUL. If a person or a deal sounds fishy, report it by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Keep track of your pickup obligations. Please respect the time and work of all the gardeners offering items by showing up on time. If we receive too many complaints about you for no-shows or other disrespect, you will be removed from the system.
- Have fun!